Friday 3 April 2009

Bang -ouch!- whats that noise- Oh! the Directors have just shot themselves in the foot.

What a PR disaster (the credit crunch is probably hitting our loyal supporters harder than anyone)

My season ticket cost me £475, for a comfortable seat with a great view in the East Stand. To meet that cost our household has to earn nearly £800. Last week we booked a weeks Bed & Breakfast in Portugal in June that cost a total for both of us of £280, and that includes flights( please forgive my carbon footprint- but I need a holiday)
Possibly I could be out of a job next year if this fucking recession carries on (Bastard Banks-apologies to anyone who works for a Bank) and although my wife is mostly understanding, attending Charlton home games after playing tennis in the morning does and has caused a bit of friction in our otherwise very happy and loving partnership.
We have now reached the stage in our lives when we can and want to travel and plan to see as much of the world before we are confined to our wheel chair's.( I'll still be playing tennis though) We have trawled the web-sights and found some fantastic deals on Travel Republic and we might even push the boat out and travel to Crete in September, which could cost us a total of £350 for a 4 star hotel.
There are no guarantee's that any holiday we take will be a great success but the anticipation and the looking forward to it worth a lot to us at the moment in these very desperate credit crunch times. Unfortunately anything Charlton basically depresses me -shit what am I saying I love Charlton and I know I would be happy watching a middle of the table Championship team with mixed performances consisting of a few great average and crap performances but with at least a chance of making the play-offs. This season I have not been able to identify with the club. Loan players are a necessity but the amount we have fielded this season has been just plain ridiculous.
You cannot have a rapport with players who are there mainly to get match fit.

What I am trying to say here is that by attending matches at the Valley, there has never been a guarantee of a high entertainment game, which is logical (it what makes football such a wonderful game and so unpredictable). Ironically I think the best game I have seen and probably the best Championship game seen on Sky this season, was our fabulous 4-2 win against Reading.
What high hopes after that performance, where did it all go wrong????. sob! sob!

Why didn't the board consider giving a discount of say 25% on season ticket prices for those long suffering loyal supporters who paid for a season ticket with their hard earned cash over the last two seasons and received very little entertainment value, especially this season. Football is all about winning or being at least in contention and of course being entertained . We all like to win but games where we have at least competed and been unlucky to draw or lose have been almost non-existent this season. Surely it would be better to reduce prices substantially and maybe keep attendances including floaters up to 17,000, rather than the 10,000, that I am anticipating next season.

Come on you Reds

6 comments:

John Berry said...

As I have suggested previously, the club should have offered a 1% discount for every year of season ticket ownership up to 25 years.
This would have appeased long sufferinf fans such as me, who are now adamant that they will not renew.

Sciurus Carolinensis Nemesis said...

At least someone at the club ain't firing blanks!
I know I'm a pedant CND but for Pete's sake there's no apostrophe for plurals!
Just abbreviations and possessive nouns; all examples shown in this text.

charlton north-downs said...

SCN
Your absolutely correct and you can call it laziness or
just plain bad English -whatever but I need to go back and remember things wot I learnt at schooling.

Martin said...

Latin bloke, I am something of a pedant myself when it comes to apostrophes and spelling and the like, but relax, this is a blog, not a legal document. Concentrate on the content - CND talks a lot of sense and is passionate about Charlton. That's good enough for me.

charlton north-downs said...

Thanks Charlton Lite. Have to agree that when I read the other Blogs the content is all important.

ChicagoAddick said...

Anoffer Grate retturn to the blog CND. Um, trip's too Portigal and Krete - you will be katching me up!