Wednesday 28 November 2007

We were mugged good and proper

Expectations were high when I took my seat and I felt very relaxed about the game, probably due to the 2 pints of Guinness consumed at the Fox Under The Hill on the way to the ground.
We started well and looked lively without really creating any clear cut chances. United came with a game plan and tactically they were spot on. Charlton were stifled and the crowd went quiet as we laboured. The first real attack from Sheffield resulted in a penalty as a wicked cross caused Thomas to clumsily foul in front of the referee, what the hell was he doing back there anyway???? Beattie took a good penalty and it was the first goal conceded for 380 minutes . After that, we never got going and as much as I hoped we would grab an equaliser, it never really looked like happening and inevitably we conceded two late goals as we pressed, just to add salt into the gaping wound. The opposition looked fitter, stronger, and bigger than us and very organised. Back to the drawing board for Pardew but as we know, following Charlton will never be straight forward. If there is any consolation, there are no outstanding teams in this division.

1 comment:

Burgundy Addick said...

Sorry CND, it just isn't any compensation as every time we go on a good run I start to think we are that outstanding team. I can still feel the gas escaping from my burst bubble - or maybe that's because I opted for the awful red wine in the revamped Oak rather than the Guinness.