Saturday 22 December 2007

Bah' Humbug-The Season of goodwill-lets hope Charlton think otherwise

Well I have just about recovered from the pre-excess of Christmas, with working all the hours I can and two or three Christmas parties.
The defeat to West Brom I found very painful and unfortunately the scoreline flattered us, but hey its another week and I am looking forward to the Bloggers Christmas lunch which will be a very grand affair, organised by the one and only Frankie Valley.
Today's opponents Hull City, bring back fond memories of my early years of supporting Charlton.
This was before work, a mortgage, girlfriends , marriage and children diluted my fanaticism for my support of Charlton Athletic .
1968 Charlton 1 Hull City 1 Match of the Day
In those early days, Match of the Day was a bit like Morcombe and Wise at Christmas, you just didn't miss it . Football coverage was so sparse in 1968 that Motd was the Holy Grail .
My dad and I arrived early for once and to our surprise there was a wooden platform right in the middle of the East Terrace and we thought bloody hell, it cant be, surly not, BBC cameras at a Second division match being televised , unthinkable. The match it self was a dire affair, Ken Wagstaff scored for Hull and an own goal equaliser was confirmed later, which disappointed me as I thought Matt tees was the scorer. That Saturday night listening to the one and only Kenneth Wolstenholme actually mentioning Charlton on TV, was the highlight of the year.
39 year on and things have changed so much and I must say for the better.
Todays result Charlton 4 Hull 1 Come on you Reds Iwelumo 3 Varney 1 attendance 20,445

Merry Christmas to One and All

No comments: