Saturday 7 July 2007

My faith in humanity has been restored

Late yesterday afternoon, as I rushed to play a Kent tennis match, I had to get some petrol and filled up with £55.00 worth . To my horror the only Debit Card that I had with me, was rejected and the man behind the counter, who was most unhelpful, threw the card at me and said its been rejected you have been spending too much money today. Actually I had used the card earlier to pay for the final balance on my Mums funeral costs. Not telling him this, as it had already hit a raw point I went into panic mode, because if your late for one of these Kent matches you get docked a set which would have upset my tennis partners and been unfair on them and my club. Having pleaded my case and offered £20 cash and my mobile phone, which was flatly refused I had no alternative but to phone my wife and ask her to meet me at the petrol station, which would have taken 20 mins thus meaning, our club effectively forfeiting the match. Then out of the blue a man who was queuing behind me, said "don't worry mate I will pay your bill" and gave the garage cashier his card . At this time I was close to tears, as it was just an unbelievable act of kindness. Shaking his hand, I asked for his number and this morning I have spoken to him. His first word were " I hope someone would do the same for me " . Having now transferred the money into his Bank this morning I have wondered , how many people would do such a generous act and also be embarrassed by all the thanks I gave him.
My wife, my kids, people at the tennis club all think how wonderful.

2 comments:

Confidential Rick said...

CND you must have a very honest face !
Seriously tho' usually no one would want to get involved. We all seem to have become too cynical and insular. That bloke is a true diamond. Great story.

Ethan Romero said...

Thank you for sharring this