Monday 24 November 2008

What a mess but as always Come on You Reds

Gutted, despondent, finding it difficult to be motivated, that is how I feel at the moment, but I still support my team, because Charlton are in my blood and I have been through far worse in my 40 years of supporting the club.

Who do we blame for the right royal mess we are in. Luckily work has been manic and I have been distracted from the the horror show of the last two weeks. I was in the office listening on my computer to the nightmare unfolding at the Valley and at 1-4 Pardew was gone, doesn't take a genius to work that one out. The Board tried their best to replace Curbishley (no easy task) and Pardew who I thought at the time was a super choice . There has always been a bit of a niggle and doubt in my mind about Pardew. Was he made an offer he couldn't refuse on Christmas Eve 2006, as he did tell the media he wanted a break from football, but Charlton forced the issue and changed his mind. So was there a reluctance right from the start. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and how many times have we said to ourselves if only I knew then what I know now. Pardew did his best , the fans did there best and the Board did there best when you consider they had not replaced a manager for 15 seasons.( Unless you count Steve Gritt in 1996) but it has failed miserably. Are we any better off than 12 years ago????? Yes we are, with a super ground, a better fan base-minus the boo'ers, all we need is a decent, driven, motivated manager.

Expectation! how can I bury it and just pretend I can live with the current situation. Can I be satisfied if we avoid relegation, then look forward to next season .
By nature I am competitive and I have to confess that I have always put playing sport above watching my beloved Charlton, but I have always tried my best to work round it. When I first went to senior school I made the school first eleven and held that position for six years which was great because the matches were played at 10am which meant in the afternoon I could watch Charlton play. After leaving school I carried on playing football but the unfortunate side to that was I missed some Charlton matches because invariably in the winter 2.00pm were normal kick-off times. Once I gave up playing football, it has been easier, but playing tennis does come first so if that makes me a plastic I apologies, but over the last 4 seasons I have been to 90% of home games. Why am I telling you this, don't really know, maybe I'm depressed and need some counseling, probably most of us Charlton supporter could do with some therapy. Once a Charlton supporter always a Charlton supporter.

Come on you Reds.

2 comments:

ChicagoAddick said...

You don't need to prove yourself to anyone CND. You ain't getting paid for it.

Pedro45 said...

CND - We all have lives; you go to as many games as you can, same as everyone. I'm proud to have seen all 46 league and cup matches the club played in season 1983/4, but nowadays I only get to about half. It doesn't make me any less a supporter. Head up boy! Jump onto the redvolution and hang on for the ride!