Thursday 6 September 2007

Calm Down-Calm down


Will everyone please calm down, I'm not used to all this over confidence and optimism . What is going on, Charlton fans normally think the worst, even 2-0 up with 5 minutes to go the opposition are going to get two in the last minute, you know its true. Even across the pond, we now have New York stating that we are not only going to win the league, but by a clear 10 points(please come true) .
I'm just not used to it, for I am ever the eternal pessimist regarding Charlton . It must go back to the days when getting any information on the radio or television regarding Charlton, was like our overseas supporters club are suffering now. 1976 Burnley 1 Charlton 4 with 18 minutes to go, I'm playing in a match, when someone shouts from the touchline Charlton are 4-1 up, my match finishes, I'm in the changing room on a high, get changed, into the clubhouse waiting for the 5pm scores, pint in hand, First Division scores come up, then the Second Division, I blink, then nearly choke on my beer, Burnley 4 Charlton 4- noooooo. My teammates take the piss out of me for the rest of the evening, as I'm the only Charlton fan amongst Millwall and Palarse and I'm sulking. This match has always stuck in my mind and from thereafter I have never taken any scoreline as a done deal . So until the final whistle blows and its a mathematical certainty I'm taking nothing for granted and personally I think we are in for a very hard nerve racking season.
Come on you Reds

2 comments:

Pedro45 said...

We nearly lost that match 5-4 too, wth only a great save in injury time preventing the loss!

StoneMuse said...

I was at Turf Moor for that game and as Pedro says we could have lost!!
Amazing game.