Wednesday 4 June 2008

The future is paperless

Going Digital

Its happening now, there seems no way to stop it and I think I'm going to like it. (sounds like the beginning of a song) The world is going paperless which according to predictions made over ten years ago was always going to happen .
I'm a Director of a small independent publishing company, which incidentally has resisted several takeover bids from the big players in the Industry, is just about to launch a Digital version of its Jewel in the Crown Magazine (That's not the name of the magazine by the way). Presently the cost of getting our magazines overseas is extortionately high at £1.30 per magazine and really there is no margin for profit . We will be able to send as many issues as we like digitally via a PDF attachment to registered readers who have supplied their email addresses at a fraction of the cost and our magazines will reach every corner of the planet in an instant.
The savings are immense - printing, paper and postage costs will save our Company 50% of its overheads . This all sounds too good to be true and it probably is at the moment. There is a resistance from a large contingent who until recently I was one of them that think the only way to read most literature is on paper .

Carbon Footprint

Imagine how our carbon footprint would virtually disappear with no transport required, so no fuel used , no need to cut down forests even if the paper does come from a sustainable source which ours does , wouldn't be nice if the forests were allowed to return to their natural state rather than those ugly conifer forests and no need for recycling which is a costly business .

E Books
Anyway you maybe thinking what the hell has this got to do with me so here it is I purchased the Len Glover Autobiography by E: Book online (honest folks I'm not on commission that' s not the nature or purpose of this blog) which I wasn't even sure what that meant . After paying my £5.20 a link was sent which enabled me to download 380 pages of the book including many pictures in about 30seconds and with a bit of scepticism I started to read several of the pages . To my surprise it became easier as I went along and I'm am currently about a third of the way through the book if you can call it a book.
Reading the first few chapters in my opinion L Glover Auto is one of the most honest, interesting and controversial autobiographies I have read and I will write a full review once finished.

There we have it I'm converted a middle aged man who in the past would never consider reading a book from a computer is now doing that very thing, oh! how my son laughed at the fuss I originally made and he wont stop calling me a grey haired middle aged Luddite -what insults especially the grey haired one.

Could Mr Murray be interested

Digital football programmes - would it appeal -On match days our overseas contingent could download the programme via their laptops or E-Pads picture opposite at cost price or less . The club could save enough to be able to broadcast live radio again, which would really make all overseas supporters very happy , the Board must consider that one day a lot of ex-pats will come home and the club need their support.

6 comments:

Habibou said...

ce t'appareil me plait beacoup,
bon courrage jolie blog.

Kings Hill Addick said...

Question: What is to stop your subsrcibers emailing the pdf on for free and you ending up with a huge reduction in income?

charlton north-downs said...

Hi Kings Hill each down loader has a unigue user name and password which cannot be passed on and I believe each download can be traced which is used for marketing purposes. All this has been investigated by our subs team for reasons you have stated above. Hundreds of magazines are ahead of the game already

Anonymous said...

I dont think I'll ever fully understand the logistics and economics of print and distribution.

Explain this away if you can. My company has traditionally done all its pre-press and printing in the UK, and then distributed from here in London. Nowadays, we do page make-up in London. We then send the layouts to Dubai for printing. The printed publications are then bulk-shipped to Hong Kong, where they are distributed to our clients who are mostly in Europe and US.

Apparently its a lot cheaper that way.

Ken Jennings said...

Many many thanks for thinking of us exiles, CND

Dave said...

Ironic bearing in mind we are reading this on a blog!