Tuesday 17 June 2008

Love thy Neighbour

France v Italy

I'm so looking forward to this game and I'm predicting it will be the match of the tournament even surpassing the wonderful game the other night when Turkey scored three goals in fifteen minutes to overturn a 2-0 deficit against the Czech Republic.
I predict
France 3 Italy 2 , but Romania will spoil the day for France by beating a weakened Dutch team 2-0

What team does your husband support-Charlton! Oh well that's not so bad


My wife finally managed to meet our new neighbours opposite our house, actually not so new as they moved in over 4 months ago. The modern era eh! , the fact is my wife and I both work long hours and at weekends we seem to be busy doing the housework ( yes I do know how to switch the washing machine on and I do cook a mean Sunday lunch, ) playing and watching sport -that's me and shopping that's my wife, me patronising never, anyway she introduced herself to the husband who was gardening and a general conversation started (I'm shocked it has taken her 4 months) . All I know about them is that he and his son are fanatical Arsenal fans, they must be as the house has been named Gooners Lodge and there are a couple pennants on the windows, what is funny, a couple days after our new neighbours declared their allegiance, their attached neighbour filled their windows with Tottenham memorabilia. I'm just waiting for the punch up in the garden its bound to happen one day. Anyway back to our new found friends, after a few niceties my wife was asked tentatively what team does your husband support, probably praying that I wont be a Spurs fan. My wife replied, my husbands a mad fanatical Charlton fan who has a season ticket and goes to every home game and occasionally away, there was a big sigh of relief and the following comment - Charlton, oh well! that's not so bad. It transpires that he watches Arsenal home and away and often stays overnight in hotels with his son on long away trips -cant knock his dedication . So, I'm surrounded by Arsenal and Tottenham fans, what ever became of supporting your local team which for the area is Charlton and unfortunately the Palarse. Seriously folks he seems a nice enough chap and I'm sure we will get on like a house on fire when he comes over with his wife to our invite for drinks. I'm just wondering what reply he will give when asked the controversial question don't you think there should be some English players in the Arsenal team and if there are, wouldn't it make supporting them easier

I'm Loving my Tennis at the moment

Last night our 1st team vets went top of the table by beating Catford 4-0, and I don't mind admitting , that on grass it was one of my best performances. We now need to win our last two remaining matches to gain promotion to the top division- a division which is not unlike our football premiership . The top four clubs in Kent all attract membership of well over 700 players each, but my little humble club has a membership of 50, the great thing is on our day we can compete against them.
Sounds like Charlton a couple of seasons ago.

5 comments:

ChicagoAddick said...

Gooners Lodge?! Dear ol dear.

You need to put a plaque on your front drive CND. How about CND Villas?

Anonymous said...

CND, out of interest what age are you considered a 'vet' in UK tennis terms?

charlton north-downs said...

Good one Chicago, CND Villas has a double meaning but alas my wife will not go along with it, so it looks as though we will remain plaque-less.
NY you can represent the vets in your 45th year so I am fast becoming a veteran of the vets, unlike when I first reached that milestone I kept on saying I was a junior vet.

Anonymous said...

I was under the impression it was 35? Never mind (maybe it depends on the county). I'll just have to try to stave off the beer belly for another ten years so I'm fighting fit for the vets.

ps - in your view, and out of interest, which are the best 2 or 3 clubs in the area (in terms of playing quality, courts, organisation etc..)? Thanks.

charlton north-downs said...

Hi NY In the professional game its 35 but I'm pretty sure in club tennis its 45 over the whole country.
Tunbridge Wells are the biggest club in Kent with I'm told nearly 1000 members but sometimes large clubs do not always make for a well run club which has been proved with another local club Park Langley who have over 600 members and 12 paid coaches. Sometimes they struggle to get players for matches and invariably turn up late which is inexcusable considering their membership. What they do have going for them is a massive youth programme which has to be good for the future of club tennis.
I'm bound to be biased but our Astro turf is a fantastic all weather surface which can be played on even in a heavy frost.
Tunbridge Wells courts are the slowest courts I have ever played on but it suits some players.
Top clubs are Tunbridge Wells
Bromley Lawn Tennis
and reluctantly Park Langley