Monday 13 October 2008

For the times they are a changing

Come gather round people wherever you roam
And admit that the waters around you have grown
And accept it that soon you'll be drenched to the bone
If your time to you is worth saving
Then you'd better start swimming or you'll sink like a stone
For the times, they are a changing.


OK its a bit dramatic to use a Bob Dylan song in relation to Charlton and the possible buy out from our very rich and hopefully new owners. When I was a kid, professional football was a game played by the majority of players striving to make a living to support a family and pay off a 25 year Mortgage. In my youthful naivety the game was all about passion, loyalty and honesty , but was it really. The game has changed so much and players now, certainly in the Premiership and the the top half of the Championship probably pay off their mortgages in six months. Lets forget the old days and look to the future, maybe this is our last chance and for me personally it cant come quick enough. It was a comedian who supports Fulham who once said I would rather support any team in any league than too never support a team at all and who knows what lies a head for little'old'Charlton -Oblivion maybe . Adrenalin still flows for me when I do not know a Charlton result and I am just about to find out. I love the club for what it stands for but my support will wain if I have to sit through another mundane inept Championship season , for I have been to the promised land although I didn't realise I was there until after it was taken away. Murray and Co have done the business over the years, but its time to move on to the big money men. Call me cynical, mercenary and ready to sell my soul but I think big money -honest big money is the only way forward. Join the revolution and dance in the street -The King is dead- long live the King.

No comments: