Friday 24 October 2008

A Rallying Cry -Its time to Stand-up and be counted

This morning driving to work in the pouring rain after dropping my daughter off at school, although she is 17 and we deliberately moved closer to the school, half-mile to be more precise, so she and my son could walk to school, ha! what a laugh, they have probably only walked a dozen times in seven years.
Anyway, it suddenly hit me like a bolt of lightning , the moans , the threats of not going to all home games(the threat was to myself) and the malaise that I have been feeling about Charlton suddenly vanished. I'm a loyal person and to prove it- here goes

Had to put this first as you never know who might be reading this.

Been Married for 22 years through great times and some rough times but we have got through it. Its something I'm proud of -considering the pressures on today's life styles.

Worked for my Company for 33 years -Bloody hell, I started off as young accounts assistant and now I'm FD( almost man and boy). Younger people look at me in astonishment and think how could any one stay that long in one job, but by sticking with it I am better off than a lot of my old mates. So I'm proud of that.

Supported Charlton Athletic for 42 years, through great times, but on the whole very difficult and traumatic times, but my support has never wavered and Ive never ever booed and I'm very extra proud of that.

OK the club is in its worst position for 10 years, but you know every thing goes in cycles and its our turn to feel some pain. Just think how painful it must have been for Millwall and Palace to witness our success over the last 10 year period. I just have that sneaky feeling that we are about to turn the corner yet again and I'm predicting a play-off place secured by a home win against Norwich City on the last day of the season.

Its my daughters 18th birthday tomorrow and she has said she will never speak to me again if we are not away on Saturday, as she's having a party and we would only be party poopers, . so we are in Arundel for the weekend . That means I miss my first home match of the season -honest folks this was not intentional.

Come on you Reds-Charlton 3 Burnley 2

7 comments:

bristol addick said...

Have a great birthday celebration. Daughers are important too (I have 3, 2 addickted). C'mon you reds. 2-0!

Anonymous said...

Dear CND

you mentioned in your last post about a lack of pre match banter.

For the Barnsley game I take my seven year old son plus 6 other seven year olds to the East Stand. There will be seven other adults with us who will be dying for a bevvy (its takes over an hour from Pembury - and for kids that approximates to a decade, as you will know).

I would be delighted to share a bevvy and a commiseration with you at the back of the East Stand, if that is where you go. My son and I are the only Addicks (this is a sort of Missionary job for other kids in our local footie game) but the other parents are all good sorts.

Enjoy Arundel - the Castle is magnificent - but it always rains when I go there!
Pembury Addick

charlton north-downs said...

Pembury I would be delighted to meet you and your merry band of Charlton followers at any home game I think its great that you and your son and other kids follow the Addicks, after all they are the future and life blood of the club.
My son just didn't quite take to my love of Charlton but he loves road running and keeping fit so he is a bit like me in loving sports.

Regards CND

charlton north-downs said...

Bristol Addick as you say daughters are great and it must be nice to have 2 addickted although they are all special at least when it comes to football you have someone in the household on your side.

Wyn Grant said...

I've been in my job for 37 years, so I have the edge on you there! The downside is my contract runs to age 67 and they may enforce it. I remember that we had to re-decorate the conservatory once after our eldest daughter held a party while we were away, but it only need a coat of paint.

Anonymous said...

Lovely to hear your positive thoughts, CND which I wholeheartedly share.

Some peeps out there seem to think we have a God given right to win, get promoted etc etc. As you say, life's full of highs & lows - all we can do is take the ride & hold strong until the tide turns our way again.

Of course, what we want to see on the pitch is 11 dedicated, committed individuals , gelled together by their passion for our great Club but alas, there aren't many English teams out there with those qualities these days.

Enjoy your reprieve and let's hope the lads can do it without you today.

Keep the faith !

Confidential Rick said...

Well said CND. We've been there before and climbed out of it then.It's what being Charlton is all about.(The Bay Tree's good in Arundel)